TerraKing: A Georgia Regionals 22nd Place Team Report

6:26 PM 0 Comments




Yo, what's up guys. This is Jacobo Salazar, also known as jacsaz or "digimon shirt guy" online. This will be a simple team overview for the team I used to place 22nd at the Athens regional championship, as well as going undefeated in 3 PCs. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Now on to the team:


 

 

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Timid
52HP/252SpA/204Spe (0 attack IV)
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power
-Sludge Bomb
-Beat Up

This thing is a monster, and probably one of my favorite Pokemon used this season. The spread was relatively simple: enough speed to creep max speed Lando, max special attack to get all the OHKOs I can, and the rest dumped into HP to add some bulk. Ice Beam will OHKO pretty much every kind of Landorus and Salemence in the format. Earth Power OHKOs metagross, Terrakion, and Mawile. Sludge Bomb 2HKOs pretty much every fairy type Pokemon, while Nido can't be KO'd back with a fairy attack. Beat Up as my last move was not something everyone agreed with, but it came in handy several times. If the situation was presented, I could catch my opponent by surprise and get a +4 attack Terrakion, which is terrifying.


Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Jolly
20HP/236Att/252Spe
-Protect
-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Substitute 

A bit different from a normal Terrakion, but not by much. Instead of using a common filler move like double kick, quick guard, or even quick attack, I opted for substitute. If I could get a situation where I was able to beat up and get the sub up right away, then it was pretty much game over. Also, sometimes people will go for the status on Terra turn one, which I would just heal with Lum and proceed to sub up in order to prevent future statuses. 


Breloom @ Focus Sash
Adamant
252Att/252Spe/4HP
-Protect
-Bullet Seed
-Mach Punch
-Spore

Asides from adamant, it's a pretty standard breloom. I chose adamant over jolly because I didn't think I was really outspending anything important with a positive speed nature, and using adamant means you can KO some things with only 2 hits from bullet seed, which minimizes dice rolls.

 

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Modest
236HP/44Def/108SpA/100SpD/20Spe
-scald
-ice beam
-tailwind
-mirror coat

HP maximized my sitrus recovery. Decided not to put as much defense as other people were putting on it, as I'm pretty much already living any physical attacks. I also decided that since I was running mirror coat, I wanted to be able to live those attacks I was sending back, so the investment gave me better chances of surviving thunderbolt from zapdos, thundurus, and rotom. 108 Special Attack gives me pretty good chances of KOing 4HP MegaMence, and 20 Speed makes it outspeed Scarf Lando under tailwind.




Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Modest
196HP/172Def/132SpA
-Protect 
-Heat Wave
-HP Ground
-Solar Beam

Yes, I ran 0 speed EVs on my Charizard. I'm either an idiot or a genius, I can't tell yet. The bulk allows me to survive Jolly Kangaskhan's DE 100% of the time. I also have an 82% chance of living a max attack Lando's Rock Slide, and since at the time most people were giving up attack for bulk, I pretty much always lived Rock Slides. HP Ground is something I decided to put on the night before the tournament, and I regret it deeply. Looking back at it, my team already has enough checks for Heatran. Overheat or Flamethrower would've been much better calls, and I believe I could've done better with either of those moves over HP.
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest
252SpA/252Spe/4HP
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Earth Power
-Protect

No fancy spread here. I wanted a maximum damage output, and the speed gave me a better match up against Hydreigon mirror matches. However, Hydreigon was my worst Pokemon at the tournament, as I only brought it to 1/8 games I played, and I lost that game. Fairies were way too common, and I wasn't comfortable bringing Hydreigon at all. I believe Aegislash would have been a much better call, as it hits like a truck with LO and it would have given me a much needed Wide Guard. 


jacsaz

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments: